How Do I Know if I Have Chinch Bugs in My Lawn?
- Do you start to notice dry patchy spots in June/July
- Large dry brown patches that look similar to drought damage
- Does the damage start in the sunny/hot areas?
- Is there a thick layer of thatch (winter dead grass) that was not removed in spring?
- Do the dry patches appear to expand each day?
- Do you water and water, but the lawn just won’t green up?
If you answered yes to the majority of the questions above, you probably have Chinch Bugs.
Chinch bugs in Calgary have become a big problem!
They are small and can hibernate in flower/mulch beds. They migrate into the lawn in late June, sucking the sap out of your grass blades until the grass dies. They are impossible to control on your own. Yes, they can fly too!
Chinch bugs can wipe out an entire lawn in just 6 weeks! Once the grass is dead you will need to reseed or re-sod.
If you suspect you have chinch bugs, try The Coffee Can Trick!
- Cut the bottom out of a coffee can or large juice can and force it 2 inches into the grass.
- Fill the can with water, adding more water to keep it level.
- Wait 5 minutes. If you have chinch bugs, they will float to the top of the can.
Try this in several areas of the lawn, including lawn edges. If you see bugs then you will need to TREAT the lawn with a special formula. Luckily, Grass Gators has this special formula!
How Do I Avoid Getting Chinch Bugs?
Chinch Bugs love lawns that are in poor condition, they like it hot and dry. Your best defense is always a good offense. So here’s some quick tips on keeping your lawn heathy overall:
- DETHATCH YOUR LAWN EVERY SPRING.
Remove the thick layers of winter dead grass so you don’t give them a place to hid and reproduce.
- AERATE IN SPRING.
Chinch Bugs love hard packed soil so aerate every year.
- WATER 3-4X PER WEEK.
Chinch Bus require hot dry conditions for survival and reproductions so keep those lawns well watered.
- KEEP GRASS LONG.
Don’t cut you lawn so that it looks like a putting green. Chinch Bugs love that. Keep it pointy finger length – 2 inches.
- RESEED BARE SPOTS.
After ridding the lawn of Chinch Bugs with Grass Gators special treatment, reseed the patches. If you are getting a 2 application you needn’t wait for the 2nd treatment to reseed.
- USE PEST CONTROL.
Chinch Bugs are rather easy to detect in turf by using Grass Gators targeted insecticide applications we can get rid of those pesky bugs.